Ryuujirou Kamikage is the assistant secretary to Military Command of Ministry of Defense. He has been hiring Chihaya Gunzou and I-401 for a number of jobs, including the protection of SSTO in Saga Prefecture and, most lately, delivery of the Vibration Warhead Torpedo prototype to USA. He can be considered an ally of Gunzou's in the upper echelons of Japanese government.
Appearance and PersonalityEdit
Ryuujirou Kamikage is a man in his thirties. He has dark eyes and rather short black hair. In the manga his hair are a bit unruly and hang down onto his face; in the anime his hair is gelled and up-swept behind. He is almost always seen either in two-piece suit or in more casual clothes that are still acceptable for official meetings. He wears glasses and has at least five sets of them, each for a different situation.
Ryuujirou Kamikage is someone who is noted for being very punctual and very collected, always speaking politely yet to the point. At the same time, he is a risk taker, proposing plans that may as well cost him his career.
He is actively using Chihaya Gunzou and I-401, and can see the possibility of a future where humanity and the "Fleet of Fog" can symbiotically co-exist. He was the one to procure the certificate for I-401 ownership for Gunzou and the amenities for all members of the I-401's crew - they are valued people and, according to him, should be able to walk around Japan freely and in the broad daylight.
Ryuujirou Kamikage's first appearance happens when he meets with Gunzou in Nagasaki following the successful launch of SSTO. He brings the news that the SSTO was shot down by the "Fleet of Fog" over Hawaii (or, in anime, while in orbit) and offers the I-401's crew a new job: transportation of the Vibration Warhead Torpedo prototype to USA.
After Gunzou agreed to come to Yokosuka, Ryuujirou headed there by the land. He arrived first and ordered the speed up for the preparation of the Vibration Warhead Torpedo package as he was quite certain that Gunzou will end up taking the job. Another factor that made him do that was the political opposition coming from Ryoukan Kita, who was considered the prime candidate to the post of the prime minister of the decentralized capital Tokyo.Upon the arrival of I-401 to Yokosuka port, Ryuujirou Kamikage had meeting with Gunzou and Vice-Admiral Uragami where the transportation of the Vibration Warhead Torpedo prototype to USA was discussed in more details. However, following that meeting, he had other duties to attend and so he was not able to keep an eye on the I-401's crew, which allowed Ryoukan Kita to snag them for a meeting of his own, where the man practically demanded they return I-401 to government. As soon as he learned about that meeting, Ryuujirou headed to the prime minister in order to help the I-401's crew. For unknown to us reasons, however, he chose to be uncharacteristically late that one time - it was a good thing he did it, though, as it saved his political career.
The 'timely' arrival of battleships Haruna and Kirishima, however, didn't allow Ryoukan Kita to much more than the initial pressuring, and he as the attacks began getting dangerously close to their current location, he had to let Gunzou and company go.
Because he decided to be late, Ryuujirou Kamikage arrived to the prime minister's office when I-401 and Hakugei (3) had already destroyed both battleships attacking Yokosuka port. This success had saved Ryuujirou's political career and gave his further words much more weight with the prime minister. And Kamikage used the newly-acquired power of his word to get the prime minister's agreement for the revised plan for the Vibration Warhead Torpedo prototype transportation. Prime minister, while commenting that Ryuujirou was going va banque, agreed to this plan as one of the three leaders of the Japan's decentralized givernment.
Ryuujirou Kamikage's next appearance happens when he has a meeting with the prime minister of the decentralized capital Tokyo regarding the seizing of I-401's dummy by the Japanese Army. It appears that he, along with the prime minister were well aware of Gunzou's plan to use Takao-made clones and the dummy to fool the army until they managed to get away from Iwo Jima and rendezvous with Hakugei (3) for their trans-Pacific voyage.
- Cruz Herder - The officer in charge of Navy commandos and something like a friend or at very least a close ally of Kamikage's. They are seen working together towards the common goals on more than one occasion.
- Vice-Admiral Uragami - The officer in command of the Military Command's Naval Strategies Office and another ally of Kamikage.
- Daisaku Komaki - The captain of Hakugei (3) submarine. Also, Kamikage's classmate in Japanese National Maritime institute of Technology.
- Gunzou Chihaya - The current captain of "Fleet of Fog" submarine I-401. Ryuujirou Kamikage sees him as a valuable asset and often hires him to do the jobs conventional forces of Japan might not be capable of. Kamikage also sees him as someone who might bring the new era.
- Ryoukan Kita - The commander of Japanese Army and a political opponent of Ryuujirou Kamikage.
- prime minister Kaede - The leader of the decentralized capital of Tokyo and the Central Region. Even though the man got into the office though Ryoukan Kita's backing, his position towards the I-401 and the "Fleet of Fog" is closer to that of Ryuujirou Kamikage.